I could go on and on about Walker Percy and existentialism, Catholicism, post-modern man, humanity in a new culture, and Southern writers, but let’s face it. Walker Percy, a brilliant thinker and writer, lived in Covington, Louisiana because he wanted to. He liked his bourbon neat, mint juleps, beer and crawfish. Despite his brilliance, medical degree and powerful friends, he kinda’ sounds like a regular guy.
For a man who didn’t particularly like to be described as a “Southern writer,” almost every
Southern state stakes a claim to his fame. He was born in Birmingham, Alabama; spent his formative years in Athens, Georgia, and Greenville, Mississippi; enjoyed summers in Brinkwood, Tennessee; atended college in Chapel Hill, North Carolina; and lived, taught, and wrote in New Orleans and Covington, Louisiana. And he helped found The Fellowship of Southern Writers in Chattanooga in 1987. Spending a week reading Walker Percy as one of my 52 American Writers has been thought-provoking and enjoyable. I wish I could have been part of his reading group in Covington or sat in on a class at Loyola.
This year Walker Percy, winner of the National Book Award, author of six novels and two nonfiction books, and scores of articles and essays, would have celebrated his 100th birthday. Maybe, since he admitted a taste for crawfish, he might have celebrated with a heaping bowl of crawfish gumbo. I’m just not sure what he’d like mixed with it, if anything. He just might like his gumbo “neat” like his bourbon – well, without rice not ice.
- Crawfish Creole Gumbo http://www.thismamacooks.com/2014/10/louisiana-creole-crawfish-gumbo.html
- Crawfish and Crab Gumbo http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/gramercy-crawfish-gumbo
- Crawfish and Sausage http://www.gumbocooking.com/spicy-crawfish-gumbo.html
- Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Gumbo from Emeril http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/seafood-okra-gumbo-recipe.html
- Crawfish, Shrimp, Crab and Sausage Gumbo
- Or by another name — Crawdad Gumbo http://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/crawdad-gumbo.html